Friday, April 23, 2010

Great Aunt and Great Grandmother in Hawaii 1937.

Recently I digitized a number of old family photos that my sister had in her collection. Among those pictures were a series of old black and white negatives. We couldn't tell what the pictures were, so I scanned them, and realized that the 2 women in the photos were my great aunt Miriam Forbes and her mother (my great grandmother) Johanna (Ahern) Forbes. It is obvious that my grandmother had hawaiian leis around her neck, but no one knew if she had gone to hawaii or was just celebrating. So I decided to do some investigative work. A few years ago I had researched articles in the local newspaper telling the story of my aunt Miriam and g-grandmother Johanna leaving Shanghai for Manila on the ship S. S. President Jefferson, after the Japanese invaded China. This was in late 1937. My aunt Miriam worked for the  P.A. Airways System, and their office was in Hongkew.
My assumption was that Miriam had either met Johanna in Hawaii prior to going to China or after they returned from their ordeal. One of the things that sticks out in the picture was the tower behind them. I didn't know what the tower was, but based on the fact that it looked like they were in Hawaii, I did a google search for: 'tower in hawaii'. The search came back with multiple hits showing pictures of 'Aloha Tower' in Oahu. That was it! I have been to Oahu but never noticed this tower. I learned the history, and that it was almost demolished but became part of the Aloha Center. Aloha tower is located where all the cruise ships arrived, back in the 30's. I am still researching this part of my aunt and g-grandmothers life, and hope to determine when exactly they were in Oahu. As a side piece of history, Mrs. Theodore Roosevelt Jr. was aboard the same ship, (S.S. President Jefferson) when they left China. She had written for the United Press a graphic account of her experiences in Shanghai.

No comments:

Post a Comment